Monday, April 23, 2007

What's Your Signature?

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
- "My Favorite Things," from The Sound of Music


Every fashionista has a few pieces in their wardrobe or accessories collection that they love. These are pieces they often incorporate into different outfits and become their "signature pieces." My clothing choices are where I allow myself to be creative and experimental, but my accessories are my signatures.

1. Sunglasses
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I have a sneaking suspicion that squinting leads to crow's feet and wrinkles. For this reason, whenever I am in the sun, I wear sunglasses. These Marc by Marc Jacobs aviators fit my small face and somehow seem appropriate with every outfit.

2. Beaded necklace
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
When I bought this necklace at a street fair in New York a few years ago, I had no idea I was going to wear it as often as I do. I find that it works with turtlenecks, summer dresses and camisole tops and has an ethnic, funky feel without being overwhelming.

3. Large Hoop Earrings
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These are from Old Navy, but I have about five different sets of large silver hoops that I wear repeatedly. Large hoops are a classic look that never goes out of style. They are also versatile and look good with a dress or jeans and a tee.

4. Marc Jacobs Purse

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
For many years, I felt like Goldilocks when it came to handbags. "This bag is too small for work but perfect for the weekend... This bag is too big for the weekend but perfect for work." Finally, I found a purse that's "just right" in the Marc Jacobs Large Multi-Pocket. It's big enough to hold all my essentials but not so large that it looks like a suitcase on my shoulder. The leather is as soft as a baby's bottom. While black is a boring color for handbags, it's basically a neutral and will work with most outfits. One of my favorite features of this bag is the feet on the bottom. I am very hard on my purses and often throw them on the floor. The feet protect the bottom from scuffing. Who can ask for more?

5. Tiffany's Bracelets
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard that when wealthy people see women wearing overpriced, silver Tiffany's bracelets, they often think "trashy trying to be classy." I am from Queens so I am definitely allowed to have my trashy moments. These bracelets have sentimental value and I feel naked without them.

What is YOUR signature?