Friday, May 11, 2007

Bulga, I Think I Love You

Handbags.

Just the word alone makes my heart beat a little faster. How can a fashionista not have a handbag obsession? These days, women are carrying around more junk on a regular basis than ever. In addition to the neccessities of a wallet, keys and makeup bag, we have to carry a cell phone, Blackberry, MP3 player, PDA and maybe even a laptop, too. And for long subway rides to work, how does one survive without a good book or magazine? Of course you need to have something stylish to haul all of that stuff in. And like potato chips, you can't stop at just one handbag. You need one for work, one for weekend, one for evening, one that matches your favorite pair of stilettos... The list just doesn't end.

While for the most part I am completely brand loyal in the handbag department, I have been considering cheating on my main-man Marc Jacobs with Bulga. The Bulga line is designed by Natalia Konovalova, who is a former model from the Soviet Union. She named the line for the Latin word "bulga" which means leather handbag. True to their Latin name, the purses are made with buttery soft leather, have fun details like super-long zipper pulls and many have multiple exterior pockets. The exterior pocket is non-negotiable for me since I need quick access to my MetroCard, work ID card and phone.

Here are a few of my favorite Bulga offerings.

Bulga Double Strap Pocket Satchel $638
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bulga Multi-Pocket Shoulder Bag $740
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bulga Triple Zip Shoulder Bag $680
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bulga Ruched Satchel $585
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket