Thursday, July 19, 2007

Too Luxe: Louis Vuitton Tribute Patchwork Bag

I was looking through this week's Life & Style Weekly and had to do a double-take. I had read about the Louis Vuitton Tribute Patchwork bag many months ago, but had yet to see someone photographed with one. It appears Beyonce owns that most heinous of over-priced, "I just want the world to know I'm rich," status bags. As the article mentions, only 24 were made and thank God for that. I would hardly consider this Marc Jacobs' finest work for Louis Vuitton. In fact, the Tribute Patchwork was referred to as "the Frankenstein monster" by the British press when it first appeared on the runway for the Spring 2007 Ready-to-Wear show. I would say it looks more like a bad arts and crafts challenge from Project Runway than a luxury accessory worth what some people make as an annual salary.

Here is a lesson that should inform all accessory purchases in the age of the $52,000 handbag: Just because something is expensive, doesn't make it elegant or chic.

Photo credit: Life & Style Weekly, 7/30/2007